Overview / Details
The Mount Washington School Building was constructed in 1903 for the Mount Washington School District. Designed by Architect Andrew B. Anderson, the building reflects the Ward School/ Graded School style common among school buildings of the time.
The property was expanded twice, once in 1910 and again in 1924. The third addition, not designed by Anderson, but rather by Charles A. Smith. The 1924 addition demonstrates features of the Progressive Era including a branch of the public library, a large “fresh air” classroom, and an integrated auditorium and gymnasium.
The Mount Washington School Building served as a school until 2007, an impressive 104-year career. In 2008, the school was transferred to the Independence School District and deemed a surplus.
Sherman Associates acquired the property in 2011. In 2014, Mount Washington School’s historical adaptive reuse into 45 affordable senior apartments was complete.
Mount Washington Senior Apartments offers one and two-bedroom units complete with a 40” Smart TV, stainless steel appliances, tiled kitchen backsplash, oversized windows, and high ceilings. Residents are also able to enjoy a fitness center, laundry, planned activities, the restored auditorium, and restored library.